Are you a fan of the restaurant-made 4 cheese mac and cheese Applebee and would like to prepare some at home? Our copycat recipe for this dish is the perfect one for you. This chicken and bacon filled with macaroni and cheese is completely addicting.
4 Cheese Mac and Cheese Applebee’s Recipe
- 1 lb. uncooked spiral noodles/pasta
- 6 pieces of frozen pre-cooked chicken tenders
- 5 slices of cooked bacon bits
- Salt and pepper
For the pepper sauce
- ¾ cups of honey
- 3 tbs. soy sauce
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of pineapple juice
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbs. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- A pinch of paprika
For the cheese sauce
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 ¾ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup freshly shredded Colby jack cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Fresh, finely chopped basil
- Cook and drain pasta according to the package instructions and set aside.
- Bake or deep fry chicken tenders as instructed and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan, mix all ingredients of the honey pepper sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes while stirring often to cook evenly. Cook until it thickens slightly and remove from heat.
- To prepare the cheese sauce, melt butter in a skillet, add the cream and stir to mix.
- Once they melt and mix, add the different cheese varieties one at a time as you stir. Allow each to melt before adding another one. Add garlic and stir until everything is melted and mixed well.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir gently to mix. Add in the bacon and combine.
- Dip each of the chicken tender pieces in the honey pepper sauce until well coated and set aside.
- To serve, plate your pasta and top it with the chicken tenders. Sprinkle with basil to garnish, and add more bacon if desired.
Tips for the perfect 4 Cheese Mac and Cheese Applebee’s
- It’s common to notice the pepper sauce not thickening. In such a case, don’t panic; remove the sauce and set it aside to cool slightly. You’ll notice it begins to thicken within a few minutes of cooling. The sauce cannot thicken when simmering.
- Be sure to balance all the ingredients as per our guide to get super creamy and delicious results.
- Ensure that the sauce is continuously on low heat while simmering. High heat may cause it to boil over and burn.
- Remember to constantly whisk the honey pepper sauce while simmering. This helps it not to boil over while allowing the flavors to blend perfectly.
- While preparing the cheese sauce, add one cheese at a time and allow each to melt completely before adding another. This allows the cheese to melt evenly and blend easily.
- Coat the chicken strips thoroughly with the honey and pepper sauce so they will have a balance of the rich flavors in the sauce.
Calories: 1037 kcal
Saturated fat: 40g
Vitamin A: 2330IU
Vitamin C: 2,5mg
Our copycat 4 Cheese Mac and Cheese Applebee recipe will 100% become one of your favorite recipes to make at home. It is simple as all the ingredients are readily available, and the result is a meal packed full of great flavors. Get our easy-to-follow recipe guide and enjoy this classic meal at your dinner table.