If you enjoy eating waffles for breakfast, making them from scratch can take a lot of time and effort. As a result, many people prefer to make waffles on the weekends. However, this Aunt Jemima waffle recipe simplifies the process, allowing you to enjoy this delicious and crispy breakfast food even on busy weekday mornings.
Aunt Jemima’s waffle mix eliminates the need for measuring, sifting, and mixing dry ingredients, simplifying the process of preparing waffles from scratch.
The Aunt Jemima waffle mix includes pre-mixed dry ingredients, so all you need to do is add the wet ingredients and cook them on a waffle pan.
Aunt Jemima Waffle Recipe
Ingredients for Aunt Jemima Waffle Recipe
Aunt Jemima’s waffle recipe produces delicious, crispy and fluffy waffles that are perfect for home cooking. To make this recipe, you will need:
- One cup Aunt Jemima Mix: You do not have to measure and sift cornstarch, flour, baking powder, sugar, and baking soda. Aunt Jemima pack comes with this process covered and the ingredients mixed
- Milk: Milk is necessary as it gives the waffles a soft texture and a rich, creamy flavor. Buttermilk too is a great option
- Eggs: They give the waffles their structure and make them puff up when cooked, which makes for an appealing dish. But if you need more fluffy waffles, you can separate egg white and yolks though this is not a requirement.
- Oil: Oil helps in browning your waffles and gives them a moist and tender texture. You can also use butter or margarine instead of oil.
Aunt Jemima Waffle Recipe
- 1 cup of Aunt Jemima mix.
- 3/4 cups of milk.
- 1 egg.
- 2 tbsp. of oil.
- Grease and preheat your waffle maker.
- Prepare the batter by mixing the milk, eggs, oil, and aunt Jemima mix. Ensure to get a smooth and lump-free batter, then allow it to stand for 4 to5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the bowl of your waffle maker, close the lid and cook until steaming stops.
- Lift the lid and take out your waffles. Repeat step2 and 3 until all the waffles are done.
Tips for Preparing Perfect Waffles
1. Bearing in mind how a waffle maker is designed, it takes time to finish cooking unless you have several waffle makers. So what do you do to keep the prepared ones warm and toasty?
All you need to do is to keep the waffles in an oven preheated to 250 degrees or if they get cold, just reheat them in the toaster-they’ll be warm and still maintain crispiness.
2. For extra crisp and fluffy waffles, separate the egg whites from the yolk. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and then fold them into the batter.
3. Avoid substituting waffle mix for pancake mix. Pancakes are meant to be light and fluffy, while waffles are denser to ensure their crispiness. So, while you can substitute pancake mix for waffle mix, the result might be less than desirable. The only pancake mix I have found to make good waffles is Krusteaz pancake mix.
Can I Freeze Waffles?
Yes! If you’re planning to store waffles for later use, you can put them in the freezer for an average of three to four months. This allows you to enjoy waffles every time a craving strikes without having to begin from scratch.
Simply allow them to cool to room temperature, transfer to an airtight container, place them in freezer bags and ensure to squeeze out the air before sealing. This should prevent freezer burn and retain crispness.
Remember to label the dates in order to keep track of the storage time. Then, to reheat, just pop them in the toaster, microwave, or oven and enjoy.
Aunt Jemima waffles Best Toppings
There are plenty of ways you can make your waffles fun and exciting. Here are some of the most preferred toppings;
1. Butter and maple syrup: It’s one of the best toppings because of that addictive combination of sweet buttery, creamy taste, and smooth maple syrup.
These come together extremely well when combined with the soft, crunchy texture of the waffles. In addition, butter enhances the delicate flavors of any baked item and pairs nicely with anything from savory to sweet.
2. Dust with powdered sugar for an extra sweet treat
3. Top with fresh fruits like bananas, blueberries, mangoes, and peaches for a refreshing contrast. You can also add a dollop of whipped cream at this point.
4. Add a saucy topping such as strawberry jam or chocolate sauce for a mouthwatering dessert. Or top with vanilla ice cream for tastier waffles
5. Try topping your waffles with chicken and bacon for a well-rounded brunch snack.
6. To get an extra rich chocolate flavor, you can also add whole chocolate chips to waffles before cooking. Chocolate chips melt easily, giving your waffles a great brown color.
Aunt Jemima Waffle Recipe Nutrition Information
Calories 356.9 grams
Total fat 14.5 grams
Saturated fats 2.2 grams
Polyunsaturated fats 3.5 grams
Cholesterol 110.1 mg
Potassium 144.6 mg
Cabs 46.1 grams
Fiber 1.8 grams
Sugars 9.2 grams
Protein 10.9 grams
Vitamin A 6.2 grams
Vitamin D 13.2grams
Vitamin B12 9.8 grams
Calcium 27.8 grams
Iron 12.6 grams
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What happened to Aunt Jemima’s waffles?
Aunt Jemima’s waffles were banned from the market in May 2017. This followed the allegation that the production site Pinnacle Food Incorporation was contaminated.
The investigation was done by Food and Drug Administration and they found Listeria Monocytogenes within the environment. This being a health hazard led to the recall of Aunt Jemima’s waffles together with other products.
Does Aunt Jemima still make frozen waffles?
Frozen Aunt Jemima products were permanently discontinued by Pinnacle Foods in 2017 following a product recall after Listeria monocytogenes was found in a production facility.
However, for your homemade recipe, it’s possible to make your waffles from scratch. This is because the ingredients used are readily available.
Therefore, you can make your waffles and freeze them for up to three months. Each time you need a snack you just warm them in a microwave or a toaster. It’s also possible to freeze your waffle batter for later use.
How much waffle mix for 1 waffle?
The amount of waffle mix you need depends on the shape of the waffle maker you have. There are bigger and smaller iron makers.
To make one waffle maker you need approximately half a cup of waffle mix for the bigger ones and at least a third cup for the smaller ones.
How much batter do you put in a 4-inch waffle?
To make a four-inch waffle, you need to use a four-by-four iron waffle maker. The four-by-four waffle makers vary in the amount of batter they can hold.
Most of the makers take at most a quarter cup of the batter. But bigger ones like traditional Belgian waffle maker takes close to half a cup.
How much waffle batter do you put in a waffle maker?
This largely depends on the size and shape of the waffle maker available. It also depends on the size and shape of the waffle you intend to cook. There are smaller and bigger makers available. Some shapes take in larger amounts of the batter while others take little
How long do you cook waffles in a waffle maker?
The approximate length of time to have your waffles done is at least minutes. To achieve the best outcome, you need to preheat your waffle maker before pouring your mixture in.
Another indicator of the progress of your baking is steam. Steam stops when the waffle is properly cooked.
To sum up, Aunt Jemima’s waffle recipe is the perfect breakfast meal for those who don’t want to sacrifice taste. With their delicate yet crispy texture, these amazing waffles are absolutely delicious.
There’s no need to look further if you wish to prepare something scrumptious today. All you have to do is follow the simple instructions above to start your very own batch right away.
CHECK ALSO: Barefoot Contessa Biscotti Recipe.