Award-winning key lime pie is a cloud-chaser delicacy, especially during summer. We love that the preparation involves an easy process and requires very few ingredients. If you want to prepare a creamy and delicious pie with sweet and tart flavors, then look no further.
Ingredients for Award-Winning Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Sweetened condensed milk gives the pie a silky, sweet and creamy texture.
- Sour cream: preferably full fat or substitute with plain thick Greek yogurt.
- Zest: Get your zest from key limes or use Persian limes if it’s the only option available.
- Key Lime Juice: Get the lime juice from real key limes for best results. Alternatively, Persian limes will yield delicious results too.
- Egg yolks: the yolks are ideal for thickening the cream pie filling. You can skip them for an egg-free key lime pie though the result will be a looser pie but still firm and delicious.
Award-Winning Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 1.5 cups of finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cups fresh key lime juice
- 1.5 cups sour cream/Greek yogurt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. key lime zest
- 1 cup of cold whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- 8 thinly cut slices of lime
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit and set the rack in the middle.
- Process graham crackers in a food processor until they form crumbs (This is if you don’t have crumbs).
- Combine the crumbs with sugar and butter and stir with a fork and your hands until they mix perfectly.
- Press the mixture on your pie plate to form ¼ inch thick crust. Start with the sides firm to make things easier.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until slightly browned, then leave it to cool completely.
- Preheat oven and set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together for 2 minutes to form a thick mixture.
- Pour the filling into your prepared crust and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the filling sets and wobbles a bit at the center if shaken back and forth. The pie should not brown.
- Cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly for at least 3 hours.
- Put the heavy cream in a mixing bowl and whip until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until the whipped cream becomes firm.
- Scrap into a decorating pastry bag and apply it on the pie to decorate.
- Sprinkle a little zest on the pie and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
- To serve, slice the pie into wedges and wipe the knife clean between each wedge. Garnish with previously cut lime slices and serve cold.
- You can prepare the crust ahead of time, store it and add the filling when ready to serve; otherwise, the crust gets soggy. Alternatively, you can buy a packed pre-made crust.
- Always ensure that the pie cools completely before storing it in the fridge. Chill for not less than three hour
- For the best results, only apply whipping cream when you are about to serve.
- Placing the pie at the bottom-most shelve chills it as quickly cold air falls while hot air rises.
- Reduce the amount of sugar you use to make the crust to 3 to 4 tablespoons if you prefer it to be less sweet. If you want it firmer and held together, add more butter.
- Keep the whipped cream chilled until you are ready to use.
- Be careful to avoid getting burnt. Don’t put your thumb into the pie while pulling it from the oven.
- Calories: 761kcal
- Carbohydrates: 103g
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Cholesterol: 149mg
- Sodium: 463mg
- Potassium: 564mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 81g
- Vitamin A: 1064IU
- Vitamin C: 10mg
- Calcium: 400mg
- Iron: 2mg
Preparing key lime pie is not rocket science. Our recipe in this article comes in handy with precise, tried, easy-to-follow steps that give perfect results. If you have all the ingredients, follow the steps and make this delicious dessert at home. It will not take much of your time.