Chicken noodle casserole pioneer woman is a favorite dish for many. It’s a combination of chicken pot pie and chicken noodle soup resulting in a perfect thick and creamy texture.
Chicken Noodle Casserole Pioneer Woman Recipe
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 large carrots diced (should make about 2 cups)
- 2 ½ cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. of dried thyme or 1 fresh spring
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. of ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh diced celery
- 1 pound dry wide egg noodles of your choice
- 3 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Fresh herbs like thyme and parsley, fresh ground black pepper, parmesan cheese, and smoked paprika.
- Place a large saucepan on medium-high heat and sauté the chopped onion in olive oil for about five minutes or until they become transparent. Add in the garlic and carrot and continue cooking while constantly stirring for another 3 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups of the chicken broth, salt, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper, and simmer on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the celery together with the remaining chicken broth, bring to a boil and add the noodles. Simmer for five minutes without covering the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, prepare the roux as the noodles continue to simmer. Heat the butter in a small saucepan, whisk in the all-purpose flour and cook for one minute. Add 1 cup milk and simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Gently stir in the remaining cup of milk and the frozen peas into the noodles mixture. Add the roux and mix—Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and simmer over medium-low heat until you get the desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh herbs, smoky paprika, Parmesan, or freshly ground black pepper.
- The pioneer woman chicken noodle casserole gets thicker the more it cooks. If it gets too thick, simply add milk or broth to lighten it.
- Make sure to use a deep saucepan or pot to avoid splashing or boiling over
- You can use rotini pasta instead of egg noodles.
Chicken noodle casserole pioneer woman is a complete meal in itself. You can serve this dish with dumplings, French fries, roasted veggies, biscuits with gravy, and chicken wings. You can also serve it with bread or buns to help scoop up any creamy sauce that could be remaining. All in all, below are some of the most common dishes served along with the pioneer woman chicken noodles;
- Pumpkin dinner rolls
- Red potato salad
- Tomato pie
- Cheddar rolls
- Potato wedges
- Crescent rolls
- Wedge salad
- Turkey salad
- Greek salad
- Quinoa salad
How to Store Chicken Noodle Casserole Pioneer Woman
To store your pioneer woman chicken noodles in the fridge, allow them to cool to room temperature, wrap them in plastic wrap, and put in the fridge. Alternatively, divide it into portions and store it in airtight containers. Store these in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To store in the freezer, put portions of the dish in freezer bags and store for 3-4 months. You can also store a whole portion, but reheating makes it more difficult. To serve the frozen chicken noodles, thaw them overnight in the fridge, reheat and serve.
How to reheat
You can reheat the pioneer woman chicken noodles in the oven, microwave, or air fryer.
- With an the oven, preheat to 350 °F, place your cold thawed pioneer woman dish in the oven, and heat for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperatures are 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the oven and serve as desired
- For the microwave, divide your pioneer woman chicken noodle casserole into portions and put them in microwave-safe dishes. Reheat each for 2-4 minutes on medium power.
- To reheat in the air fryer, set it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, cover the chicken noodles with aluminum foil, and place them in the air fryer. Heat for 5 minutes, uncover the foil, and heat for 3 more minutes. Remove and serve.
Other Casserole Options
Barefoot Contessa baked French toast casserole
Candied sweet potato casserole
- Calories: 315 kcal
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Sodium: 554mg
- Potassium: 404mg
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 33g
Pioneer woman chicken noodle casserole is a version of chicken noodle soup presented in casserole form. With chicken, vegetables, and egg noodles, this dish makes a perfect whole meal for cold days. Follow our recipe to make delicious chicken noodle casserole pioneer woman in your kitchen.