Patti Labelle candied yams are a popular sweet dessert made using sweet potatoes. The candied yams not only taste great, but they are also an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, thus an ideal meal for any person. With the right ingredients at hand, you can follow us to make a healthy sweet potato/yams treat in less than 1 hour and in the comfort of your home.
Patti Labelle Candied Yams
- 4 pounds of sweet potato
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 ¼ cups corn syrup
- ¼ cup of honey
- Light brown sugar (1 cup for candied sauce and 2 tsp for garnish)
- 1 tbs. of cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp. of vanilla
- ¼ tsp. Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- Wash the potatoes and set them to boil; put them in a large pot, with enough without overcrowding. Fill the pot with water such that the potatoes will be fully covered and set on fire. Boil the sweet potatoes/yams until tender and can hold their shape without getting mushy. Prepare the candied salt while the potatoes are boiling.
- Prepare the baking dish where you’ll transfer the candied sauce later. Melt the butter on low heat. Add in a cup of brown sugar and keep stirring to enhance smooth absorption into the butter. The result after the absorption of the sugar should be a thick paste.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix completely: Stir in the nutmeg, honey, salt, vanilla, light corn syrup, and cinnamon powder to the thick sugar and butter mixture. Continue stirring until you achieve a smooth texture with a medium-like consistency. The volume of the finished mixture should be enough to coat the yams.
- Get back to the potatoes; they should be done by the time you finish with the candied sauce. Remove them from heat and drain excess water. Alternatively, you can scoop them from the pot with a spoon or tongs. This is especially a good option if you fear draining the hot water.
- Cool down the potatoes by transferring them to a bowl filled with cold water to make them easy to handle without getting burnt. Cooling should take around 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the potatoes for baking. Peel the potatoes and cut them into ¼ sizes of 1 inch thick circular shapes. Otherwise, you can also cut into any sizes you prefer. The thinner the sizes, the more sauce they absorb and the better the taste.
- Transfer the cut potatoes to the baking sheet you prepared and top them with the candied sauce. Mix the sauce into the potatoes to give them even cooking, then sprinkle the two garnishing tablespoons of brown sugar onto the potato and sauce mixture.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for about 45-60 minutes. Ensure to monitor the progress every 10-15 minutes and give the potato mixture another loose mix to promote even cooking. Continue baking with every stir until the potatoes or candied yams are ready.
- Once ready, remove it from the oven, allow it to sit a little while, then top it off with a drizzle of caramel sauce and serve. You can as well serve it with vanilla ice cream or serve it in any other way you enjoy.
Calories: 649 kcal
Carbohydrates: 112 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Fat: 26 grams
Saturated Fat: 13 grams
Cholesterol: 58 grams
Sodium: 628 grams
Potassium; 863 milligrams
Fiber: 8 grams
Sugar: 74 grams
Vitamin A: 32905 IU
Vitamin C: 10 milligrams
Calcium: 112 milligrams
Iron: 4 milligrams
You will definitely have fun cooking and enjoy this dessert. It is so convenient, easy to fix, and takes less time to prepare when compared to most dishes. Patti Labelle yams are a great addition to family gatherings bearing in mind that the core ingredient, sweet potatoes are favorite for most people of all ages.