Brenda Gantt has become everyone’s favorite when it comes to preparing cabbage casserole, this copycat Brenda Gantt Cabbage Casserole recipe will help you know how to cook this dish perfectly well.
The seventy-five-year-old chef is now a Facebook sensation, attracting over two million people to her page. Brenda Gantt recipes lure people from all over the world. The chef believes that food is what creates a great bond in families.
Most of her meals are prepared from the heart. The Brenda Gantt Cabbage Casserole recipe is a southern favorite.
Brenda Gantt Cabbage Casserole Recipe
What is a cabbage casserole?
A cabbage casserole is a dish made with cabbage or sauerkraut that is used to top hot dogs, hamburgers, or hot links.
This dish is popular in the southern US and Canada. It’s often made with shredded cabbage, onions, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, and salt. The ingredients are combined together in a baking dish and topped with crushed potato chips or corn flakes.
Nutritional Benefits of Cabbage Casseroles
The cabbage dishes are an integral part of the Mediterranean diet. It is a low-calorie, low-fat food that is also rich in antioxidants and vitamins. The nutritional benefits of cabbage casseroles include the following:
- It can provide you with the necessary fiber that helps with digestion.
- Cabbage also contains antioxidants that help protect cells from oxidative damage and keep you healthy from free radicals.
- The high levels of vitamins found in cabbage help the body absorb calcium more efficiently, which aids muscle development and boosts bone health.
Copycat Brenda Gantt Cabbage Casserole Recipe
- 1 small cabbage ( chopped).
- Cream from chicken soup.
- 1 sweet onion.
- 1/2 stick melted butter.
- 1 cup of mayonnaise.
- Some pepper and salt to taste.
- 1 stick of melted butter.
- 1 stalk of ritz crackers.
- Start the cooking process by preheating the oven up to 350 degrees.
- Put the chopped cabbage in your casserole dish. You do not need to grease the pan before.
- Place the coarsely chopped sweet onion on top of the cabbage. Put some pepper and salt on the cabbage and onions.
- Mix the chicken soup, butter, mayonnaise together then place it on top of the cabbage and onions. Just spread the mixture lightly without mixing it.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the topping ingredients then sprinkle them on top of the casserole dish.
- Cook this meal for around 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not remove from the oven until the top looks golden. The casserole should be bubbly too. Ensure you keep an eye on the oven so that you do not overcook the food.
Apart from Gantt cabbage casseroles, there are many other different types of casseroles and they can be served in a variety of ways. Traditionally, a casserole dish is made up of various ingredients that are baked together in an oven for 30 minutes to an hour before being served either as a side dish or as the main part of the meal.
READ ALSO: Seasoning for Brussel Sprouts.
Image Credits: It is A Southern Thing.