Skip all the unnecessary additives like msg and anti-caking agents in store-bought taco seasoning by mixing a few ingredients from your pantry. This mix combines all the basic ingredients perfect for chicken taco seasoning. And what’s more? It’s super delicious, cheap, and so easy to make.
This taco seasoning recipe for chicken will definitely elevate your taco dishes and probably become your favorite Mexican spice blend. Just blend a few spices into a jar, and you’ll have the best taco seasoning in a span of a few moments
Taco Seasoning Recipe for Chicken
What makes Taco Seasonings?
Store-bought taco seasoning comes loaded with sodium and may not be versatile for different uses. The advantage of making your own is that you can tweak the ingredients to fit your preference. You can adjust accordingly, whether you need a savory, sweet or smoky profile. Below are the basic ingredients you’ll need for a perfect blend of taco seasoning for chicken
1. Chili Powder adds heat and color to the spice and the foods.
2. Cumin delivers most of the flavor in tacos. It has a distinct flavor that requires it to be used sparingly; otherwise, it will overcome other flavors.
3. Paprika: Smoked paprika is ideal for a smoky profile. Nevertheless, you can use normal ground paprika for its natural fruity and peppery taste.
4. Ground Coriander, whether seeds or leaves. Coriander has a slightly mild and lemony flavor that goes well with cumin and other savory spices.
5. Salt is necessary for balancing the taste. However, you can omit it as you’ll still add more while cooking.
6. Black Pepper gives excellent results as a chicken seasoning with its woody, warm, spicy, terpy, and herbaceous flavors
7. Oregano is mostly known for its wide use in Italian dishes. It renders both sweet and spicy notes with bold and earth flavors to the palate. Oregano has slight bitterness contributed by the camphor compound in the herb.
8. Red Pepper contributes to most of the heat in taco seasoning. Add more for spicy results.
Chicken Taco Seasoning Preparation Steps
Yield: 2 ¼ tbsp.
Course: Sauces and Condiments
Prep time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 6 minutes
· 1 tbsp. Chili powder
· ½ tsp. Ground coriander
· ½ tsp. Ground cumin
· ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
· ¼ tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
· ¼ tsp. Sea salt
· ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1. Put all these spices in a small mixing jar, and mix completely for a perfect blend.
2. Use the mix to season 1 pound o chicken or store in an airtight container for later use. The mixture has a shelf life of up to 1 year. Once from storage, remember to shake it up before using.
· Calories: 40 Kcal
· Fat: 17 grams
· Fat: .1.6 grams
· Saturated fat: 0.4 grams
· Trans Fat: 0 grams
· Cholesterol: 0milligram
· Sodium: 745.6 milligrams
· Carbohydrates: 6 grams
· Fiber: 3.2 grams
· Sugar: 0.6 grams
· Protein: 2 grams
Important to Note
1. The amount of salt you add should be up to your preference. You can put more, but we recommend starting with a ¼ tsp. then later add more to your liking.
2. This recipe is for a spice blend. Mix with a half-cup tomato sauce while cooking the chicken to get a more traditional flavor. Add freshly squeezed lime juice to the chicken before serving
3. This batch of seasoning is enough for 1 pound of chicken. Multiply the ingredients as much as you can to store some for later use.
4. Other spices you can add to this blend are garlic and onion powder. Also, ensure to use dried Mexican oregano
5. Most store-bought taco seasonings have tomato powder as an additive. To imitate this, add tomato sauce to your cooking for the right flavor
Ways to Use Taco Seasoning for Chicken
Though most people go for sautéed chicken tacos, you can have more fun by trying out this taco seasoning for chicken;
1. Diced and sautéed
2. First grilling, then diced
3. Oven-baked then shredded
4. Cook in the crockpot for six hours, then shredded
5. Instant pot then shredded
6. Sliced and sautéed with onions and peppers
The recipe for taco seasoning is easy to master, and you’ll probably have all the seasonings in your pantry if you cook often. Make this taco spice blend and use it as your chicken marinade and n other dishes. Just mix our recommended ingredients as described in the recipe, and you’ll have this chicken taco seasoning within no time.